|M. Narasimha Murty (Professor)
PhD (1982, IISc)
Selected Journal Publications (each has 10 or more number of citations as per Google Scholar)
M. N. Murty and G. Krishna, A computationally efficient technique for
data clustering, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 12, pp. 153, 1980.(No. of citations: 19)
- G. P. Babu and M. N. Murty, A Near-optimal initial seed value
selectionfor K-Means Algorithm using Genetic Algorithm, Pattern
Recognition Letters, 14, pp. 763-769, 1993.(No. of citations: 62)
- G. P. Babu and M. N. Murty, Clustering with Evolution Strategies, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 321-329, 1994.(No. of citations: 89)
- M. Prakash and M. N. Murty, A Genetic Algorithm for Selection of
(Near-) Optimal Subsets of Principal Components for Discrimination,
Pattern Recognition Letters, Special Issue on Genetic Algorithms, Vol.
16, pp. 781-787, 1995.(No. of citations: 24)
- M. N. Murty and A. K. Jain, Knowledge-Based Clustering Scheme for
Collection Management and Retrieval of Library Books, Pattern
Recognition, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 949-963, 1995.(No. of citations: 13)
- M. Prakash and M. N. Murty, Growing Subspace Pattern Recognition
Methods and their Neural-Network Models, IEEE Trans. on Neural
Networks, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 161-168, 1997.(No. of citations: 24)
- K. Krishna and M. N. Murty, Genetic K-Means Algorithm, IEEE Trans. on SMC, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp.433-439, June 1999.(No. of citations: 141)
- V. E. Ramesh and M. N. Murty, Off-line Signature Verification
Using Genetically Optimized Weighted Features, Pattern Recognition,
Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 217-233, 1999.(No. of citations: 26)
- A. K. Jain, M. N. Murty, and P. J. Flynn, Pattern Clustering: A Review, ACM Computing Surveys, pp. 264-323, Sept. 1999.(no. of citations: 2484)
- T. R. Babu and M. N. Murty, Comparison of Genetic Algorithm Based
Prototype Selection Schemes, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 34, pp. 523-525,
2001.(No. of citations: 29)
- V. Susheela Devi and M. N. Murty, Incremental Prototype Building
Technique, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 35, pp. 505-513, 2002.(No. of citations: 16)
- V. S. Ananthanarayana, M. N. Murty, and D. K. Subramanian, Tree
Structure for Efficient Data Mining Using Rough Sets, Pattern
Recognition Letters, 24, pp.833-849, 2003.(No. of citations: 19)
- J. N. Manjunatha, K. R. Sivaramakrishnan, R. K. Pandey, and M. N. Murty,
Citation Prediction Using Time Series Appraoch: KDD Cup 2003 (task 1),
SIGKDD Explorations, Vol. 5, pp. 152-153, 2003.(winning entry)
- S. Asharaf and M. N. Murty, An Adaptive Rough Fuzzy Single Pass Algorithm
for Clustering Large Data Sets, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 36, pp. 3015-3018,
2003.(No. of citations: 11)
- P. A. Vijaya, M. N. Murty, and D. K. Subramanian,
Leaders-Subleaders: An Efficient Hierarchical Clustering Algorithm for Large
Datasets, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol 25, pp. 503 - 511, 2004.(No. of citations: 14)
Selected Conference Papers
M. N. Murty and A. Negi, A Knowledge-Based Approach to Cluster Analysis, in
Systems and Signal Processing, pp. 747-755, edited by R. N. Madan,
N. Viswanadham, and R. L. Kashyap, Oxford and IBH Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1991.
- V. Sridhar and M. N. Murty, Knowledge Processing Under Uncertainty, in
Knowledge Based Systems, pp. 157-189, edited by S. G. Tzafestas, World
Scientific, London, 1997.
- V. Susheela Devi and M. N. Murty, Handwritten Digit Recognition Using
Soft Computing, in Soft-Computing for Image Processing, pp. 506-524, edited by
S. K. Pal, A. Ghosh and M. K. Kundu, Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2000.
- M. N. Murty, Clustering Large Data Sets, in Soft Computing Approach to
Pattern Recognition and Image Processing, pp. 41-63, edited by A. Ghosh and
S. K. Pal, World-Scientific, New Jersey, 2002.
- E. Diday and M. N. Murty, Symbolic Data Clustering, in Encyclopedia of Data Warehousing and Mining, pp. 1087-1092, Edited by J. Wang, Idea Group Inc.,
- P. Viswanath, M. N. Murty, and S. Bhatnagar, Pattern Synthesis for
Large-Scale Pattern Classification, In Encyclopedia of Data Warehousing and
Mining, pp. 902-906, Edited by. J. Wang, Idea Group Inc., 2005.
B. Shekar, M. N. Murty, and G. Krishna, Pattern clustering: an artificial
intelligence approach, Proceedings of the 10th International Joint Conference
on Artificial Intelligence, Milano, Italy, Aug. 1987.
- V. Sridhar, M. N. Murty, and G. Krishna, A logical model for
decision-making, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on
Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Dec. 1989.
- S. H. Srinivasan and M. N. Murty, Validation in distributed
representation, in International Joint Conference on Neural Networks,
Singapore, pp. 36-42, November 1991.
- G. P. Babu and M. N. Murty, Probabilistic connectionist approaches for the design of good communication codes, In the Proc. of the IJCNN, Japan, 1993.
- G. P. Babu and M. N. Murty, Controlled offspring generation in evolutionary programming, in Proc. of the Third Annual Conf. on Evolutionary Programming,
San Diego, 1994.
- V. S. Ananthanarayana, D. K. Subramanian, and M. N. Murty, Scalable,
distributed and dynamic mining of association rules, In the Proceedings of the
International Conf. on HIPC, LNCS 1970, Bangalore, pp. 559-566, Dec. 2000.
- S. V. N. Vishwanathan and M. N. Murty, SSVM: A simple SVM algorithm, in
Proceedings of IJCNN, IEEE Press, 2002.
- S. V. N. Vishwanathan and M. N. Murty, Geometric SVM: a fast and intuitive SVM algorithm. In Proc. Intl. Conf. Pattern Recognition, Vol. 2, pp. 56-59,
- D. Ambedkar, M. N. Murty, and S. Bhatnagar, Quotient evolutionary space:
abstraction of evolutionary process w.r.t macroscopic properties, In Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2003.
- S. V. N. Vishwanathan, A. J. Smola, and M. N. Murty, Simple SVM, In Proceedings of Intl. Conf. on Machine Learning, pp. 760-767, 2003.
- D. Ambedkar, M. N. Murty, and S. Bhatnagar, Cauchy annealing schedule: an
annealing schedule for Boltzmann selection scheme in evolutionary algorithms, In Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC'2004), 2004.
- P. A. Vijaya, M. N. Murty, and D. K. Subramanian,
An efficient technique for protein sequence clustering and classification, In
Proc. of 17th ICPR (Int. Conf. in Pattern Recognition), Vol. 2, pp. 447-450,
- P. Viswanath, M. N. Murty, and S. Bhatnagar, A pattern synthesis technique with an efficient nearest neighbor classifier for binary pattern recognition,
In Proceedings of International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR),
Vol. 4, pp. 416-419, 2004.
- D. Dipti, M. Vidyasagar, and M. N. Murty, Bimodal projection-based features for pattern classification, In Proceedings of the IJCNN at the IEEE world Congress on Computational Intelligence, 2006.
- S. Asharaf, S. K. Shevade, and M. N. Murty, Scalable non-linear support
vector machine using hierarchical clustering, ICPR Vol. 1, pp. 908-911, 2006.
- Saketha Nath, C. Bhattacharyya, and M. N. Murty, Clustering based large
margin classification: a scalable approach using SOCP formulation, In
Proceedings of Intl. Conf. on KDD, 2006.
- S. Asharaf, M. N. Murty, and S. K. Shevade, Cluster based core vector
machine, In Proceedings of Intl. Conf. on Data Mining, 2006.
- S. Asharaf, M. N. Murty, and S. K. Shevade, Multiclass Core Vector Machine, in the Proceedings of the 24th ICML, June 2007.
- B. Rashmin, J. Saketha Nath, K. Suresh Kumar, K.
Sivaramakrishnan, C. Bhattacharyya, and M. N. Murty, Focussed Crawling with
Scalable Ordinal regression solvers, in the Proceedings of the 24th ICML, June 2007.
- A. P. Yogananda, M. N. Murty, and Lakshmi Gopal, A fast linear separability test by projection of positive points on subspaces, in the Proceedings of the
24th ICML, June 2007.
- B. Shekar: A Knowledge-Based Approach to Pattern Clustering, 1988 (with Prof. G. Krishna).
- S.H. Srinivasan: Studies in Learning and Representation in connectionist Networks, 1993.
- V. Sridhar: Labelled clustering and its Applications, 1993.
- G. Phanendra Babu: Evolutionary and Connectionist Approaches to Pattern Clustering, 1994 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- M. Prakash: Learning in Subspace Methods Using weighted and Multi-Subspace Representations, 1996.
- S. Bhattacharya: A Novel Scheme for Speech Synthesis, 1997.
- V. Susheela Devi: Optimal Prototype Selection for Efficient Pattern Classification, 2001 (with Prof. Indraneel Sen).
- K. R. K. Murthy: Sharable Instructable Agent for Information Filtering, 2001 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- C. Bhattacharyya: Plefka's Mean-Field Theory and Belief Networks, 2002 (with Prof. Sathiya Keerthi).
- S. K. Shevade: Some Efficient Algorithms for Support Vector Machines, 2001 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- Dipti Deodhare: Bimodal Projections Based Features for High Dimensional Pattern Classification, 2001 (with Dr. M. Vidyasagar).
- V. S. Ananthanarayana: Knowledge-Based Mining of Multi-Databases for Associations, 2001 (with Prof. D. K. Subramanian).
- S. V. N. Vishwanathan: Kernel Methods: Fast Algorithms and Real Life Applications, 2003.
- P. Viswanath: Pattern Synthesis Techniques and Compact Data Representation Schemes for Efficient Nearest Neighbor Classification, 2005 (with Dr. S. Bhatnagar) (Awarded the Best Thesis Award).
- P. A. Vijaya: Efficient Hierarchical Clustering Techniques for Pattern Classification, 2005 (with Prof. D. K. Subramanian).
- D. Ambedkar: On generalized Measures of Information with Maximum and Minimum Entropy Prescriptions, 2006(with Dr. S. Bhatnagar).
- T. Ravindra Babu: Efficient Schemes for Large-Scale Pattern Classification, 2006 (with Dr. V. K. Agrawal).
- S. Asharaf: Efficient Kernel Methods for Large Scale Classification, 2007 (with Dr. S. K. Shevade)(IBM Outstanding PhD student award).
- E. Thirumaran, Clustering Large Datasets (In Progress) (with Dr. E. M. Lalitha, Honeywell, Bangalore).
- N. Ranga Suri, Correlation Clustering (In Progress) (with Dr. Athithan, CAIR, Bangalore).
- Geetha Manjunath, Semantic Web (In Progress) (with Dr. Dinkar Sitaram, HP Research Labs, Bangalore).
M. Sc. (Engg.) Students:
- C. Srinivas: Pattern classification using conjunctive conceptual clustering procedures, 1986.
- S. Choudhury: Hierarchical Data Structures for Pattern Recognition, 1987.
- Malini K. Bhandaru: Learning from examples using Hierarchical Counterfactual Expressions, 1989.
- Atul Negi: Algorithmic knowledge for a knowledge-based clustering environment, 1989.
- V. Rajasekar: Intelligent Backtracking in Logic Programs, 1990.
- V.S.S. Suresh Babu: Preprocessing for Optimal Multilevel clustering, 1990.
- Francis Joy: Reason Maintenance and Logic, 1993.
- V. Vijaya Saradhi: Pattern Representation and Prototype Selection for Handwritten Digit Recognition, 1999.
- P. Ramanujam: Development of a General-Purpose Sanskrit Parser, 1999 (with Prof. Nagaraj Shenoy).
- T. Ravindra Babu: Data Clustering and Evolutionary Algorithms for Data Mining, 2000 (with Dr. M. Sambasiva Rao).
- D. Ambedkar: ACE-Model: A Conceptual Evolutionary Model for Evolutionary Computation and Artificial Life, 2002.
- B. N. Ranganath: Efficient Frequent Closed Itemset Algorithms with Applications to Stream Mining and Classification, 2009.
Dept. of CSA, IISc
Bangalore-560 012, India